Monday, May 6, 2013

Writing and Running

Two big things have happened in my life lately. 

1) I've embarked on another complete rewrite of my thriller, A SCARRED MIND. 

2) I'm training for a half-marathon. 

Say what?! 


Honestly, it's been hard to stay motivated to do both these things. I figure it's because they are both so huge and life-changing, I've intimidated the hell out of myself. Why have I given myself such big goals? Good question. 

As for the rewrite, I honestly didn't think I had it in me. I told myself after entering #PitchMadness, if it ended in rejection, that was it. I would shelve this story and work on something else. Well, it did end in rejection. I got a full request from the contest, which I was completely stoked about, but ultimately, she rejected. She pointed out that I had too many points of view (I had three) and it was a little too supernatural for her taste. I was gutted.

I had my full out with another agent, one I loooove, and then she said the same things the rejecting agent said BUT offered to look at it if again if I wanted to rewrite. So I was faced with a decision: Was I really ready to shelve it? Or did I want to do another complete rewrite, getting rid of two of my three points of view and fix the problems? When I listened to my heart, the answer was obvious. 

I didn't have to think about it very long. I started outlining a rewrite immediately. Oh, and I'm historically a pantser. Everything has changed! The world is topsy-turvy! I have gotten rid of 2/3 of my POV and now the book is one character in first person, rather than three in third. I can't even believe how much better it is. I hope I can keep it up. I'm 11k words in, shooting for around 75-79k. I'm blogging about it to keep myself accountable, to keep me motivated. With this goal along with the half-marathon I'm training for, I sometimes feel like I've gotten in over my head and won't be able to complete either.

Don't let me give up on myself! 
I decided to train for a half-marathon the day of the Boston Marathon. Even before the horrible bombings, I was inspired by the women I saw cross the finish line. I watched them, tears welling in my eyes, and thought, "I want to do that." I've been running off and on for over a year. Over the summer of 2012, I stopped because I was full of excuses. "It's too hot." "My kid is home from school so there's no time." blah blah blah. Like I said, excuses. I started running again in the fall, only to get sick in December and stop again. Finally, in February, my writing muse and running inspiration Joey McIntyre (I know I talk about him a lot) announced he was going to run the Boston Marathon. Something in me clicked and I thought, if he can run a marathon, I can damn sure run a half. I talked myself out of that pretty quickly when I couldn't run a full mile without hacking up a lung. I had to learn that you have to build your endurance and set smaller goals. I didn't give up. I'm up to two miles now and not giving up anytime soon.  
(Yes there is a Gus to illustrate every point)

I decided running is a lot like writing. There are a million excuses not to do it. It's too hard. I'm not strong enough. I can't run a mile. I can't rewrite this book. That's all bullshit. The truth is I can do anything, as long as I believe I can. So I AM rewriting this book and I AM going to run a half-marathon. Specifically, the Wrightsville Beach half-marathon in March 2014. That gives me plenty of time to get there. :D I plan to finish the rewrite much sooner, hopefully by my birthday, June 30. 

And then I'll be all: 

No seriously:

I'll be updating my Twitter with rewrite and running goals as I meet them so please follow me if you aren't already and help me stay motivated. :) Thanks for reading! xoxo 


4 comments:

  1. OMG!!! A Gus for every situation. I LOVE it!!!! Bahahaha!!! And you know I'll keep you motivated! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing amazing with the rewrite, Amy! Good luck on the running as well. Eee both exciting goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I know you will! #nomoreexcuses :) I didn't intend to use only Gus gif's but then I kept finding one for every point. heehee <3 Gus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Roselle! I hope I can stay as motivated as I feel right now :)

    ReplyDelete